The Firm’s Dispute Resolution practice has positioned it as a trustworthy litigation and arbitration law firm in Lebanon and a market leader, gaining several high-profile mandates and scoring successes in complex domestic and international disputes.
Our dispute resolution team is distinguished by a sharp understanding of the commercial aspects and industry-specifics of clients’ businesses, leading clients to turn to us for our strategic approach in resolving disputes. Our experienced litigators consistently rely on reasoned and ethical advocacy, which has earned them the respect of clients and the judiciary.
The Firm's Arbitration experts provide advice and advocacy to clients in high-stake cross-border arbitrations conducted under the rules of all major arbitral institutions, including the ICC, UNCITRAL, ICSID, and BCCI, and have scored victories in landmark cases in the construction, media, and energy industries seated in Paris and London. The Firm's arbitration attorneys further acts as co-counsel with prominent international law firms on multi-jurisdictional international arbitration cases.
Our Litigation team has considerable experience in complex and high-stake commercial disputes, representing clients before all types of trial, appellate, and regulatory tribunals, and has a key knowledge of the media, FMCG, pharmaceutical and energy sectors. The Firm represents clients in all stages of litigation and out-of-court settlements, and our integrated practice structure provides clients with strong support, as the Litigation team regularly collaborates with lawyers from the Firm’s other practice areas to ensure a comprehensive approach to the regulatory aspects of cases.
Our team of dispute resolution lawyers is frequently called upon for pre-conflict advice in various industries, enabling clients to avoid impending disputes and, should a dispute be inevitable, to be well equipped to handle it.
The Firm’s recent notable representative experience in Dispute Resolution (Arbitration and Litigation) includes:
- Advised leading TV station LBCI in winning the high-profile and complex multi-million Paris and London-seated ICC arbitration cases against the largest Arab media group Rotana. The Firm acted as co-counsel with international law firm Linklaters, with Hogan Lovells representing Rotana.
- Advised the consortium between leading energy companies Danish-BWSC/German-MAN Diesel on the high profile multi-million ICC arbitration case against the Republic of Lebanon in relation to the €270 Million FIDIC EPC contracts for two thermal power plant projects.
- Advised leading Lebanese bank IBL on a major US$100 million BCCI arbitration case against Iraq Telecom Limited with a critical impact amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented banking crisis, involving multiple jurisdictions, namely Iraq, Lebanon, the UAE, and the US, and ancillary attachments lawsuits in Lebanon and New York. The Firm acted as co-counsel with global law firms Mayer Brown and Dechert, while Iraq Telecom was represented by three international law firms, namely White & Case, Jones Day, and Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher.
- Advised a leading financial institution on a multi-million BCCI arbitration case against an investor involving complex banking and capital markets regulations amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented banking crisis.
- Advised leading investment fund MEVP in winning the highly complex BCCI arbitration case related to the shareholders’ dispute of the pioneer book discovery platform Bookwitty, which geared attention due to its significance in the context of Circular 331 issued by the Central Bank of Lebanon aimed at boosting Lebanon’s knowledge economy.
- Advised leading regional contracting group Construction Management Associates Sal (CMA) in winning a complex BCCI arbitration against the development company of the major Sky Gate real estate project in Beirut.
- Advised the developer of upscale real estate project Badaro Gardens in winning a complex FIDIC construction BCCI arbitration case against major contracting group Abniah.
- Advised prominent investment group The Luxury Fund on a multi-million complex BCCI arbitration case against fashion company Faith Connexion involving several jurisdictions including France and Nevis.
- Advised leading real estate developer GZA Group (Highland Sal) on the BCCI arbitration case against the contractor in connection with Beit Misk, one of the largest multi-million residential projects in Lebanon.
- Advised leading investment firm Capstone Investment Group on a multi-million BCCI arbitration case against real estate company Immobilière 237 Sursock, the developer of the upscale residential project Sursock Towers.
- Advised leading regional contracting company AlSaad General Contracting on the settlement related to the enforcement of an ICC arbitral award against renowned contractor Itihad Al Bonian International in connection with the construction of the US$100 million Beirut City Center mall, the first project developed in the Levant region by the leading Emirati development company Majid Al Futtaim.
- Advised the Karkour family in winning a complex ad-hoc arbitration of a major high-stake shareholders’ dispute related to the leading pharmaceutical company Codipha.
- Advised leading TV station LBCI on the motion filed by the largest Arab media group Rotana before the Court of Appeals in Paris for the annulment of an ICC arbitration award rendered in favor of the Firm’s client LBCI.
- Advised the CEO of leading TV station LBCI on the high-profile ICC arbitration case against largest Arab media group Rotana.
- Acting as Lead Counsel spearheading a global defense team of prominent international law firms in more than seven jurisdictions, the Firm advised Carlos Ghosn, the notorious former CEO of the Renault-Nissan Group, on over 15 high-profile globally mediatized legal cases opposing him to Nissan/Renault and related parties.
- Advised Bankmed on Lebanon’s largest ever US$1 Billion highly complex settlement of several connected multi-jurisdiction banking lawsuits against major international oil trader IMMS.
- Advised the Central Bank of Lebanon on a highly complex lawsuit challenging the legality of Circular 151 related to the withdrawal of USD deposits in LBP, a first-of-its kind critical capital control regulation issued by the Central Bank amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented financial and banking crisis and its impact on the fluctuation of currency exchange rates.
- Advised global Big Four audit firm Ernst & Young in a major critical lawsuit involving the challenge of its audit of the accounts of Lebanon’s Central Bank (BDL) amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented financial crisis.
- Advised the leading financial technology payment solutions company Areeba (M1 Group) on a multi-million complex lawsuit against the Casino Du Liban involving a dispute over the dual-currency of “fresh” and “local” US Dollars amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented financial crisis and its impact on the fluctuation of currency exchange rates.
- Advised leading healthcare group Hitachi Medical Systems on a major lawsuit against the Saint-Joseph Medical Center involving highly complex medical equipment issues.
- Advised the world's leading specialist in air transport communications and information technology SITA, one of the operators of the Beirut Rafic Hariri International airport, on a critical liability lawsuit lodged by the Lebanese Government.
- Advised leading pharmaceutical group BENTA on 3 high-profile lawsuits in relation to distributorship agreements against French global pharmaceutical company ROCHE, Irish global NYSE-listed pharmaceutical company Allergan, and German global medical technology company KLS Martin.
- Advised global telecoms group Ericsson on a major employment lawsuit involving the embezzlement of funds and the breach of Ericsson’s Code of Business Ethics.
- Advised the premier venture capital firm The Luxury Fund (TLF) on a complex liability lawsuit against leading Kuwaiti telecoms group Zain in relation to the investment in the pioneer tech startup MySay.
- Advised leading Lebanese bank Fransabank on five connected multi-million lawsuits against renowned home decor group Sleep Comfort related to the reimbursement of bank facilities and the enforcement of back-to-back cross-border bank guarantees with the Commercial Bank of Qatar, involving highly complex currency-related regulatory issues amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented banking crisis and the ensuing capital controls imposed by banks.
- Advised the Special Investigation Commission (SIC) at the Central Bank of Lebanon on a dual-court lawsuit involving highly complex currency conversion issues amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented financial and banking crisis.
- Advised leading Lebanese bank Saradar on a critical highly mediatized liability lawsuit before the public prosecutor involving seven other banks amidst Lebanon’s unprecedented banking crisis.
- Advised leading bank Bankmed on US$130 Million highly mediatized lawsuits against a major French-Lebanese businessman involving highly complex anti-money laundering and banking secrecy laws in the context of Lebanon’s unprecedented financial crisis and capital controls.
- Advised leading bank Bankmed on a major US$90 Million settlement against international energy trading company ZR Energy involving highly complex banking issues in the context of Lebanon’s unprecedented financial crisis and its impact on the fluctuation of currency exchange rates and capital controls.
- Advised Carlos Ghosn, the notorious former CEO of the Renault-Nissan Group, on the challenging of an Interpol Red Notice in the context of the high profile globally mediatized legal actions against Nissan and Renault.
- Advised the regional leader in the lighting and energy sector Debbas Group on a lawsuit lodged by its subcontractor EPS in connection with a highly complex DSP Contract with the Lebanese Government for the rehabilitation and modernization of the electricity power grid in Lebanon through the installation of an advanced smart metering infrastructure.
- Advised the regional leader in the lighting and energy sector Debbas Group on a multi-million lawsuit against Ahli Bank Qatar in relation to the Doha Convention Center mega project.
- Advised the exclusive distributor in Lebanon of the global leader in consumer electronics Samsung on a major lawsuit related to the commercial distributorship of the TCL TV brand.
- Advised leading FMCG group Bocti on an unlawful competition lawsuit brought against major distributors in Lebanon under exclusive distribution agreements of food brands.
- Advised leading Al Sultan group, one of top ten FMCG distributors of international brands in Lebanon, on a major commercial lawsuit against Indian manufacturer under exclusive distribution agreements of food brands.
- Advised leading pharmaceutical company Codipha on pre-litigation negotiations with the global leader in generic pharmaceuticals Sandoz in relation to the termination multi-million distributorship agreement.
- Advised the Karkour family on the settlement of a major high-stake shareholders’ dispute related to the leading pharmaceutical company Codipha.
- Advised leading TV station LBCI on a criminal lawsuit for fraudulent bankruptcy against the largest Arab media group Rotana before the financial prosecutor in Lebanon in the context of the highly-mediatized Lebanese and international judicial and arbitral conflict opposing LBCI to the Rotana group.
- Advised leading F&B brand ARUBA on winning a major trademark infringement lawsuit against main market competitor in Lebanon DOMO.
- Advised on the settlement of a major shareholder dispute in the leading multinational UK alcoholic beverage company Diageo, involving complex shareholders’ agreements and executive compensation plans.
- Advised a patient on a highly complex medical liability lawsuit against the renowned hospital American University of Beirut Medical Center (AUBMC).
- Advised a prominent doctor on a first-of-its-kind highly mediatized medical liability lawsuit.
- Advised leading diamond trading company Brilliant Gem against renowned diamond reseller Diamonds Forever in a multi-million lawsuit involving fraud, embezzlement and robbery of diamonds.